Sunday, May 20, 2012

HIV Awareness Cake

A couple of months ago I was contacted by the Southwest Center for HIV/AIDS. Their annual "Night for Life" is one of the largest fundraising events in the Phoenix area each year. They wondered if I would like to donate a cake to the silent auction, of course I said yes to such a worthy cause.

It's a little tricky to market a custom cake at an event like this. Like all art, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the event planner! What type of cake to provide to maximize interest and $$$? I struggled for weeks to decide...do I provide a wedding cake a baby shower cake, what to do?!?

I decided to start with the red awareness ribbon and design around it and this was the final result. My only objective was to grab attention.

The winning bidder was IMI Design of Scottsdale. They will have a fabulous cake at their upcoming open house! I don't know what the winning bid was but if the center received even a few dollars because of my donation then it was a success. It brings me great pleasure to do something for such a great organization!

No comments:

Post a Comment